TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by MGtrack
Frisco needs to actively look for an experienced hand who has been there, done that to maximize the great potential that the superdrome has.

As for the heat in summer, nah, that doesn't float. Heat and humidity in other areas is bad too and I live in Frisco. Besides, there are options to put a roof/enclose the track that SMG hasn't even explored. Yeah that takes money, but build a great program first, then the money will come.

WE the local cyclists, fans and the sport deserve better.
First, my condolances to you for having to live in Frisco. I can now understand why you are such an angry and vitriolic person. When you say that Frisco needs to recruit a better person to manage the Superdrome, you are simply ignoring the fact that the city officials have no interest whatsoever in developing the Superdrome beyond local activities and that the local citizenry have absolutely no interest in track racing. Do you think that Roger Young, who I know, or Erin Hartwell would be willing to relocate to north Texas and work essentially for free? Are you aware that USAC has essentially black balled the Superdrome for national championships because of the heat in summer, which you have poo-pooed (did you notice the massive dropoff in attendance in the SPS races once the summer temps got in the 100s). Do you have any idea what it would cost to place a roof or enclose the Superdrome, and who would put up the money to do this? The sad fact is that track racing is on the decline throughout the USA, and that LA and TTown are notable exceptions. Sponsorship is very difficult if not impossible to find, and simply ranting that "we...deserve better" does nothing to improve the situation.

IMO, it is better to quietly contribute what I can, and help others benefit from the track. As I stated in my previous post, I serve as the Tuesday night open riding track monitor, despite having a 120 mile round trip drive to do so. I've also donated my technical expertise for the resurfacing project and performed the inspection for free to save the track some money. And, I have promoted events on a hope-to-break-even basis. Since you live in Frisco close to the track, what if anything do you contribute to its success, other than complaining about its management? It is easy to criticize and blame others for perceived failure, but it is far more difficult to provide positive contributions.