Old 05-18-01, 03:04 AM
Ranger Jake
Judged by weight alone...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Servus,

Ah, but what we all forget is how fragile his "job" really is!

Let's suppose that A-Rod smacks one into left center and the outfielder bobbles it and throws late. He's going like hell for second, dives in head first and busts his collarbone in the process. Now, he's on the bench, nursing a potentially career-ending injury. At the very least, he's NOT living up to the contractual agreements and not earning $ 250 mil that was agreed to when he was healthy and playing.

That is the difference for me between the overpaid sports figure and the Bill Gates' of the world. Ol' Bill will still be raking in the dough until he croaks, while Rodriguez will only be able to play for another ten years, tops. Sure, neither of these folks will want for anything for the rest of their lives but at least the sports figure has a definite shelf life. And that shelf life is short when you think about how hard these people push themselves physically. Bodies wear out, injuries occur, and disenchantment sets in. Yes, eventually playing baseball will get old and his drive and performance levels will drop. It happens to everyone. Look at Mike Jordan - basketball got to be no fun anymore and eventually, he retired.

I don't allow these outrageous contracts bother me for exactly these reasons. I mean, does anyone really know what Bo Jackson is doing these days?