Old 08-31-09, 12:41 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Commuter Bike

So I've had my current road bike since 2005. I've used it off and on for commuting to work, especially during the summer (7 mile one-way commute). I use it for commuting when I'm going just to work but during the school year I usually walk to school or ride motorcycle when I need to go to work later (worried about locking a nice road bike up at school). Aaanyway walking 30 minutes each way got kind of boring, and I'd been considering getting a commuter for a while. Also, I gave my dad my old road bike (Trek 1000) so he had this 1997 Diamondback Sorrento sitting in his attic. Well, $45 later for shipping and it's at my house.

Surprisingly, it was in great shape! The shifters needed adjusting and the bottom bracket was waaay clonky, the cranks could move like 5mm side to side. But the rest of the drive train was in great shape, and it already had slicks that I'd installed for my dad two years ago. $150 later, new SKS fenders, bottom bracket, rear rack, lights, and computer, and it's a commuter!

Also I have Nashbar "townie baskets" which fit one grocery bag each on this bike and my gf's. Last night we took the bicycles to the grocery store instead of the car - took a little longer but was much more fun!

Hopefully the shape the bike is in will deter thieves and vandals. Hopefully...