View Single Post
Old 08-31-09, 01:53 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Unfortunately, those arm exercises aren't working. I just keep putting on weight in spite of all the exercise I do.
Had a couple of spells that kept me off the bike for extended periods. First one was the Bypass and it was 3 months of not being able to do anything before the op. Then from day 1 home, I started walking. I hate walking but walked to the local shop every morning for the papers- only 500 yards there and back- then got to walking into town, about 1 mile, and over the next couple of weeks increased my speed on walking. Got on the bike at week 6 and started gentle rides and at 3 months did a 40 miler. The ride was fine but at the end changed my shoes sitting on a bench- stood up and shin splints. Hadn't done enough on the legs.

Next time I had 3 months off- I walked twice a day into town at speed. 6mph and took in some slopes. 8 weeks I was out riding and at 3 months did a metric. No Physical problems except Hypothermia. It rained all day long and the wind got up to 70mph with the rian horizontal. The extra exercise had done its work.

But the putting on of weight-Don't worry about it. Just gives an Extra reason to get in Extra bike rides when you are fit. Just enjoy the training.

Spike Milligan