Old 08-31-09, 07:53 PM
Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have done the D.A.R.E. ride since the first one, I think this will be 4 years. This is the first year for the century option. It is almost 100% chip and seal, (maybe it is 100%) but I don't consider it bad. Not as good as blacktop, but it is pretty much what I ride most of the time, so I guess I am used to it, and don't mind it. Sept. here is not generally hot enough to turn the road sticky. The only unknown is how much of the route has recently (July/August) had new chip and sealcoat applied. You can probably count on a few miles of it, but a few weeks of traffic does a pretty good job of smoothing it out.

As for rest stops, they previously have been good, with a pretty good supply of refreshents, including bananas and Power Bars. I would expect them to be as good as ever this year. They have some great volunteers. I have never needed sag support on the ride, but I have seen support vehicles out on the course.

Officer Chris Joellenbeck does a great job putting this on, and I am sure he would be glad to answer any questions. Give him a call, his number is on the flyer, with his email address.

I have never ridden the Capitol City Century, so I can't speak to that.

Edit: It looks like about 5% is not chip and seal. And by the way, the course is Flat, about as flat as a century can get. There is another century near Trenton in June, over some of the same roads, that they call the "Flat as a Pancake Century." That description would fit the D.A.R.E. ride too.

Last edited by Marlin; 08-31-09 at 09:21 PM.