Old 08-31-09, 08:23 PM
scooter_dude

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple, Gary Fisher Hi Fi Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Trek 7.6 FX to start with and the plain and simple truth is, it does everything, but does nothing particularly well. If you're going to ride any distance at all, your hands and wrists are going to hurt simply because you can't change hand positions much. You can alleviate some of this by putting bar ends and ergonomic grips on, but it only does so much for you. Also, you may have some difficulty staying with guys doing a consistent 18 mph. I would have trouble doing that on my Roubaix elite right now. Keep in mind, you can adopt essentially the same poisition on a road bike as on a hybrid by simply grabbing the tops of your drop bars. No one says you have to use the drops, but it is nice to have other hand positions available. I think I have been told drop bars offer 9 different hand positions, and if you ride 30 miles you'll use them all. If you ride 10 miles for that matter!! Long story short, I insisted on the hybrid when the LBS told me they could make me comfy on a road bike. $1100 later, I wish I had listened!! Now it a specialized Roubaix Elite Triple all day, and I couldn't be happier.