Old 03-07-05, 08:55 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by paolo
Thank you for your advice. Right now, my choice is almost made. I thinking seriously about an Hybrid (Giant Cypress SX) where I would add fenders and panniers.

What do you think about the Aluminium frame with Cro-moly fork for a commuter bike ?

This bike comes with 25c tires. I think I should go with 28c for a commuter bike. I plan to use this bike from April to October and I live in Montreal. The roads are still a bit dirty in April. Would you stick to 25c or change for 28c or even bigger tires ?

Concerning tires, I am looking for speed when I use the bike to go to work and a comfortable/slower ride (my wife will come with me !!!) when I would be pulling the trailer. What size of tires would be a good compromise ?

Thanks
It's a beautiful bike. All of the tires would be good enough. But, I would go 32 0r 28 for that bike, in that particular application for the best compromise. The Panaracer Tourguards are fast Kevlar belted tires. The 32's are pretty fast. That's what I have decided on after trying both the 28's and the 32's.

However that is a performance oriented bike, they do not come with low gears for towing. The low gear of 30t in front and 26 in the rear is not going to be low enough with a full load and a steep hill NO WAY. You can always change the gearing with $$$ if you like the bike. It's a great bike. I would buy that bike and Change the rear derailleur and the cassette to 12-34 for pulling the trailer. I have done this exact modification on bikes pulling trailers with that exact drive train more than once. It is successful.

Believe it or not a less performance oriented and less expensive hybrid will have lower gears and so will a touring bike. Because of the trailer and panniers you DO want low gears. If you don't want to make any changes to the bike, another bike will have lower gears. Giant will have something.