Old 09-02-09, 08:30 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
Actually I know exactly who you are
Meh. Welcome to "ignore".

Now, for a serious question for the cyclocross crowd;

For all the people running "short" profile cantilevers, why not use 57mm reach dual pivot calipers? Stepping around the logical, and logistical answer of almost no frames currently being manufactured that are appropriate for 'cross and spec'd with those brakes, I offer the following:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for UCI sanctioned events, isn't the max tire size allowed 35mm? A 57mm reach caliper like the Tektro R538 will fit a 35mm tire, or a 32 plus fenders.

If you look at the pics in this article (plus read the commentary about the setups and stopping power), the mud clearance is only marginally worse than the short cantilevers here. Velonews cantilever cyclocross article.

When one considers that, unlike MTB races, a 'cross racer can have a fresh bike waiting for him/her at each lap, plus the benefit of a wash station...I think a 57mm reach caliper would work nicely on everything save for the most peanut-buttery mud.