Thread: Pikes Peak
View Single Post
Old 09-03-09, 03:27 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Oh I know all about those summer showers in the mountains!

About a dozen Fourth-of-July's ago, I was a Corporal in the killbot factory, stationed at Fort Carson. My inbred roommate Heinzl wanted to hike up the Barr Trail with me. (We had no idea there was an auto-race going on at the other side of the mountain.)
Heinzl was not only cursed with a misshapen head, he was also cursed with a profession that compelled him to shave his head to expose it; and to make the curse even worse, he lacked the sense to resist this compulsion.
Since it was the 4th of July, we naturally walked into a blizzard wearing only shorts & t-shirts. It dumped several inches of snow in less than an hour and we were in serious trouble. But we eventually made it to the summit and were surprised at all the car-racing hulabuloo going on. There was a massive crowd, including a group of special-ed children enjoying the activity and the brightly colored race cars.
Heinzl and I were shivering and waiting in line to buy tickets for the cog-train back down the mountain when a kind woman tapped him on the shoulder and said, "You'd better hurry! Your group's already on the train!"
Heinzl just smiled his misshapen, snaggle-toothed smile and said "Thainks!" as the woman took his arm and led him to the train.

Turns out the rest of the trains were booked that day, so I had to walk the 12.4 miles back down the mountain in the snow by myself. When I finally got there, starving, freezing & exhausted, Heinzl was sitting on the tailgate of my pickup next to an empty Triscuit box wearing the same $#it-eating grin: "Hey man. Do me a favor and don't tell no one 'bout this, okay?"