View Single Post
Old 09-06-09, 04:28 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
I wonder if it started because Idiot 1 got the word from a triathlete? Shaving *does* increase swimming speed.
I'm sure that helps to perpetuate the misconception.

I admire any man who is frank enough to say that he shaves his legs for looks!
I do prefer the way that it looks, but it is far down on the list of my reasons for shaving, hence why I listed it last.

Regarding the road rash - have you had similar crashes with and without hair? Does the hairlessness just make treatment easier, or do you feel it reduces damage? I'd be really interested to know - I'm putting together a science vs cycling myths blog and its damn hard to get evidence on this one...
I had a series of unfortunate crashes which prompted me to consider shaving. I tried it, found the other benefits as well, and that it wasn't much of a hassle (10 min once a week). I don't think it "reduces the damage" and don't think that there is any claim that it does. Its about cleaning up the wound, hair sticking in the wound and to the bandages, and just generally getting in the way or pulled.

..Well, call me Mr Didn't Think Of The Obvious! But does anybody - except perhaps a crit racer - really expect to crash so much that they shave for this reason?
I've never gotten road rash in a crit. In fact most of my road rash is from training