Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
FYI - I was looking for a better used rear derailer pully to fit. This one is a cheap bearingless 10t pully. Can't find a 10t pully with bearings to fit an 8spd chain. So I took the pully off, packed it in grease, and re assembled. Quieted it down a bit, and gives me time to find what I want.

I can get a Dura Ace pully for $12 but I'm not sure it will work. Are the chain links the same length? So long as the pully isn't too big to fit in the drop, it should work if the lenghts are the same.

My LBS gave me a bigger pulley (used 15 tooth from an old deraileur), it had to be ground down to fit widthwise in the tensioner. Now my chain does not fall off. He also got me a half link to tighten up the chain a bit more. Haven't tried it yet, but think it will work just fine.

The real answer is figuring out how to put a chain tensioner on these type of bikes. i have seen them in kits for making bikes to single speed.

i don't like the noise that comes from these cheap tension devises. Tried buying a new one and packing it with grease but the same thing. The ultimate answer was to buy a used tandem cheap with an eccentric in it. My Schwinn Duo Sport from the 80's is like a rocket ship in comparison to this department store bike.

We ride our tandem almost daily, so having two of them is a blessing. Just having one to ride while repairing the other is worth it all. i put some mtb tires on the beater tandem and rides great on mild trails; another reason for having a cheap beater.