Old 09-08-09, 06:24 AM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Front derailleur for modfied Cannondale V800

I "hybridized" a Cannondale V800 I bought recently. Besides changing to pavement tires, I wanted more top end/downhill gear. So the manager of a local bike shop gave me a take-off crankset with a 52 tooth chainring. Now the indexed front shifting is a little flaky. Yes,I DO understand how the adjustment and limit screws work. I bought another derailleur from the LBS and it hardly worked at all -- I think it was made to be compatible with a 3x9 speed chain. To get the best out of the existing derailleur I had to mount it so close to the chainrings that it almost touches, I had to bend the bottom rail to make it more aggressive in forcing a shift. I can set the 2-1 and 2-3 shifts with the limit screws but when I set cable tension to shift 3-2 reliably, it doesn't shift 1-2 reliably and vice versa. I have to overshoot the shifts. I feel like the derailleur has a problem because it was not made for the larger chainring. Its a personal challenge to me make this work and keep the indexed shifting. I think I can do it with the right derailleur but I am having a problem finding out what that is. Most front derailleurs now seem to be made for 9 and 10 speed chains.

I might post a picture later if that will help.

Don in Austin