View Single Post
Old 09-08-09, 11:41 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I have had very good feedback in Road Cycling Sub-Forum, Touring, Training & Nutrition, Long Distance Cycling.
In fact I started out with the other Sub-Forums because I got more useful information there.
The Fifty Plus (50+) Sub Forum is a more friendly place but not as performance oriented as some of the other Sub-Forums. A little more of a social club I think but there are some exceptions here also.
As I started out I knew almost nothing about Performance biking. However I decided to bike fast across the USA. I remember some guy advising me to get Aero bars on the Touring Sub Forum. Another guy pushed me into watching nutrition more closely and the Road Bikers talk about Nutrition and Cadence and HR all the time. Not to mention the latest gizmo. This Sub-Forum is more likely to make you feel as part of a group. Other Sub-Forum have other priorities I think.
Here's the difference: over on Road Cycling, to refer to CYCLING (the activity of) as "biking" is simply not on. One does ride a "road bike", but the activity is "cycling", not "biking". On 50+, we tend to let solecisms like this slide by, but 'over there' they would precipitate a serious flame-fest One can go "biking" on a mountain bike, or a hybrid, but most certainly not on a road bike