Old 09-08-09, 01:07 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Riding With the Wife - A Question on Etiquette

My wife and I got into cycling this spring, her with a goal of losing 40 pounds and me 10. We are both 52 years old. I think it is fair to say I am more "in to it" than she is. My concern is this is going to be yet another fitness regimen she loses interest in, but I digress. I ride 10+ miles practically every day. She seldom rides.

Next weekend is the "Capital City Century" here. We decided we would like to do the 40 mile segment. My wife wasn't even sure she could do 40 miles so, this past weekend, we headed out to the local MUP to do four 10 mile legs. 10 miles out, 10 miles back, twice. The plan was, after the first 20 miles, we would meet back at the car, refill our water bottles, see how we felt and head out for another 20. At least, I thought that was the plan.

We rode the first 10 miles of the first 20 mile loop together. At the turn, I decided to push things a little and ended up dropping her. She finished that 10 mile segment 10-15 minutes behind me. The problem is, she was pissed that I dropped her like that. I guess she expected me to ride ahead, then double back to make sure she hadn't crashed and burned or something. I really don't know. From my perspective, we were both riding at our own pace. My pace just happens to be a little faster than hers. No big deal.

So, what say you. Was I wrong to drop her or was she wrong to expect me not to? I am sure I am an insensitive bastard so there will be no need to beat that dead horse.