View Single Post
Old 09-09-09, 01:20 PM
Dion Rides

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by meanwhile
This doesn't make any sense to me. What's your reasoning? The OP is short of money and the only problem he has is with his rims. Any rims the bike you suggest his current bike could take too. I can't see any rationale here except "I had one."

The OP just needs new bouncy tyres and his wheels working over by a mechanic. Or at most some used 26 wheels off ebay.
The OP specifically asks this:

To conclude, the question is: what do you recommend for the type of riding I am doing? My friends all tell me just not to ride it the way I am, but if this is what I want for fun, then I hope I can be able to do it.
So based on his premise, that he's jumping stairs and doing "urban MTB", I reccommend the Volume Sledgehammer, which is suited for that. In my previous post, I recommended a suspension DJ bike.

OP asks for a recommendation, I give one. It ain't rocket science.

He has an old Trek, that is not suited for that type of riding. So let's just say he spends $50 on a set of rims and $20 on some tires (on the very cheap end of things). Then he cracks his frame - which goes in the garbage. So he's out $70 (again, on the low end). Why would you put $70-$100 on a bike that's not even worth that?

Again, my recommendation would be to save up and get something that will suit your riding and stand up against the abuse. Plus the geometry would be so much better. Don't polish a turd... as somebody who's been there a million times and wasted thousands of dollars "going cheap"... it's not worth it.

To the OP: Try not to thrash your bike and save up for something nice(r). You can find great deals on CL within a decent price range that will suit you better.

Last edited by Dion Rides; 09-09-09 at 01:25 PM.