Old 09-09-09, 02:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I own an R3 and a P2C and I like them. When I bought mine, I was custom fitted by the LBS and looked a different bikes and test rode several. I decided on the R3. We took the Cervelo R3 as shipped by Cervelo and stripped the components and wheels. I put a partial D/A gruppo which included Brifters, brake caliper, front and rear der and chain. I put on an IRD carbon crank, carbon bars and a carbon stem. I had my own wheels and cassette. The frame is ~$3000 plus other components and wheels.

Cervelo equips their R3 with some D/A equipment but you should check if it is all D/A. For example, it may have Cervelo brake calipers, a 105 cassette and chain and a different crank. Typically, the wheels are entry level. The Eastons are okay but heavy and worth a couple of hundred dollar credit if you upgrade.

Most of the Cervelos that sell from the LBS I use go from $5000 on up depending on the wheel selection and gruppo.

When I bought my Cervelo road and TT bikes, I wanted a bike that was tuned to ME. At that price point, it is all about me not the deal, the bike or the bike shop. $3700 is a great deal if it is all about YOU and what you want and need.

I cannot speak to the question of seat to bar drop. When I was fitted at the bike shop, my flexibility and goals were taken into account. It has nothing to do with age. You need to figure that out. Good luck.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-09-09 at 03:02 PM.