View Single Post
Old 03-09-05, 10:55 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
One of the officers suffered a broken wrist but the driver didn't get any jail time. An automobile is the only legal way you can kill a police officer and not spend a day in jail. All you have to say is "Ooops, I didn't see him" and you go scott free!
We don't know the circumstances. Maybe they were (legally) not following the rules of the road (i.e. were on sidewalk and entered x-walk at speed)

I do know that in some (many?) localities police on bikes are exempt from rules prohibiting wrong way and sidewalk riding. I don't know all the reasons, but I can guess that it is because it allow them to more effectively patrol, work in crowds and pursue suspects.

So there could be a situation where the police on bike was legally riding the wrong way on a sidewalk and was hit by a car. The officer may have chosen not to cite as they realized that even though what they (the police) were doing was legal that it was unreasonable to penalize the driver.

I only provide the above not because it is what happened (I don't guess it is), but only to point out that one can not jump to conclusions until all the facts are presented.

Al