Old 09-11-09, 03:21 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
For many years I use to ride with a large Orange County bike club. But more and more I was becoming concerned about safety and I stopped enjoying my rides. I would watch large groups of riders blow through a red light only to see cars jam on brakes. Thank goodness I never personally witnessed people being hurt however, I was injured, not once but twice (one time seriously breaking my wrist) by the stupid antics of group riders.

So I gave up club riding and now do it alone or with a small group of good friends whom I trust to ride safely. There are alot of good riders in clubs but there are just as many ****ers who think they are good riders. It was a ****er that caused me to break my wrist. The only good thing afterwards, he felt guilty and switched clubs. I learned he caused some injuries there as well. He was like your "nimble" rider - clueless!
I biked 2 x 3,000 miles in pace lines most the time with groups as large as 30 bikers. This can not be totally safe. A moment of distraction, debris in the road, dogs, cats, all can and do cause collisions of a pace line. Two or three careful people can do it. I have done it. Very difficult.
But drafting saves a lot of energy on such tours. So we will do it again.