Old 09-11-09, 06:34 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
singlespeed CX wheels question

Ok, so I may have a line on a cheap IRO Rob Roy frame and I've been wanting my next bike to be a singlespeed CX-type bike, so this is just about perfect.
Problem is that I've never built up a bike before (gotta start sometime) and I need some help.

While I'm trying to go as cheap as possible and get most of my parts used, I figure wheels might be a good place to go new. I was looking at track wheelsets around $100-150 (which I realize is pretty low-end), but I was wondering if a 29er wheelset wouldn't be a better choice. I plan on taking this bike out on some low-level singletrack and whatnot, so I figure 29er wheels are gonna be a little beefier to handle that kind of thing. Plus, the Rob Roy's rear spacing is really wide (something like 130-135mm based on what I'm reading), so getting a wheel that fits that seems to be the easier route here. I don't mind coldsetting the frame if that's what it takes to have a kickass bike, but I want to do this right.

So here's the question.

Will these wheels work?: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ils&ProdID=605
I guess what's worrying me is that the rims are much wider (25mm) than normal road rims. Granted, I plan on putting 35 or 38mm tires on the bike, which are also much wider than normal road tires.

I dunno, I guess I'm just seeking assurance that the tires will still "clinch" to this wider rim? I don't want any disasters while riding, obviously.
Alternatively, if you want to suggest/sell me some cheap wheels that are gonna work better, I am open to suggestions.