Old 09-13-09, 10:13 AM
popbreed

Bikes: older Free Spirit 3 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
back surgery experience

I had surgery at L3,4,5 in February. I also have a range of motion problem in my right HIP not related to the back problem but might have caused the back problem to some extent. In the past I had walked 1.5 miles per day for cardo purposes. After the back surgery, walking was required for rehab along with other rehab exercises. Upon release from the surgeon, he stated I should not walk for exercise. Bike riding was great but he wanted me in an upright position since so many years of back pain had resulted in a "Groucho" posture. I had a 3 speed old "English" bike that i had bought to occasionally ride with my grand daughters which I then started to ride daily. Soon it was 5 miles per day all on state and county paved roads. I was not really comfortable on the bike and upon finding this forum I learned about LBS and the need to find one to recommend what I should be riding. 1 1/2 weeks ago, I picked up my new Trek Pure and it is great. I could not believe the comfort level when I took it for a spin at the LBS. I sit in an upright position, high swept back handle bars, very comfortable saddle, 7 speed, 1.9" 26" tires. Great bike. I am now at nearly 7 miles per day and still learning about 7 speeds, cadence, etc.

My recovery from the surgery was better than the surgeon expected but it did require a ton of exercises and following doctor's orders. I was lucky in that he did not add any "hardware" to the back. One ruptured disc(L3,4) and stenosis in all three vertebres. I have no pain at all! Lifting is the main concern along with working overhead (arms up and back bent back). I am learning to cope with these limitations. BTW, I am 66, retired, 6' 4", 225#. I hope your surgery is as successful as mine!