Old 09-13-09, 07:40 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not a lugged frame, the other kind (65 has a lugged kuwahara.) My bike is a steel MTB from the early 90s. A Trek frame here would cost A LOT more than $150. My "cheap" hybrid "Asama Luddite" assembled cost $320 before getting fenders, rack, drink cage, lights, computer etc etc.

"Exage 300 LX" on the rear derailleur.

A quick look at a LBS that carries Trek, Trek 7.2FX (didn't find one without the FX) costs nearly $600 BEFORE any taxes, it does not have fenders, rack, lights, bell, computer which would cost a significant amount to buy and pay to have installed. My hybrid I bought new in May was only $320! I got this bike for virtually free (bf says he wants $20 for it now) and I put just over $150 with taxes for tuneup, cable replacement, tire replacement, one inner tube replacement, fenders, rack, drink cage, lights installed and a bunch of other mechanical things it needed. I'm not into buying just a frame, ever. I do not build bikes, the most I do is clean and grease my chain. Don't start with the "learn how to build/fix yourself" thing, not everyone is mechanically inclined. MEC is extremely reasonable for repairs/installation so I go there.

It's steel (which I prefer) I don't 'dig' aluminum. Nice strong classic MTB great for hybridifying and riding.

eta: the front fork says" cro-mo steel tange" judging by the weight of the bike, it's definitely steel. The weight is comparable to my new hybrid. Rather tank-like which is fine by me.

Last edited by Luddite; 09-13-09 at 07:54 PM.