JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I ride clipless pedals. Have done for at least 15 years and I like them. However I do keep the OCR3 with clips and straps as a bike that I loan to other riders or the youngster across the road when he comes out on a ride with me.

I am doing a ride next week and have to fit a pannier rack and the only bike I have that will take one is the OCR3. Yesterday was the final test of this bike for the ride so out for a 10 miler to check nothing was going to fall off. Left the platforms on as I would be working on the bike later in the day. Started out and didn't. The SPD shoes that I was wearing kept slipping on the platform so back indoors to change to a pair of firm soled sneakers. Still had a problem with foot location so tighten up the straps. Only went 1/2 mile before I had to stop and first lesson remembered. You cannot get out of straps by just moving the heel outwards. Luckily this happened in my daughters driveway so a handy wall appeared to steer towards and lean up against as I came to a stop. Loosened the straps a bit before I set off again. Had to stop at a road junction so out with the right foot and stop. Restart and didn't bother to get into the straps till I got across the junction. But the pedal was the wrong way up- off with the foot- flip the pedal over and get into the clip- The pedal kept flipping back upside down. Looked down to see what I was doing wrong- into the clips- looked up and "How did that Tree get there" Missed it but only just. With what I had on the back- that was some good evasion tactics and I was glad I was on the MUP by this time.

Next 5 miles were uneventfull but I did get time to check the bike out- Gears need a bit of adjusting but OK. The weight I had on the back causes a problem but no out of saddle riding. The C.o.G has gone up a heck of a distance and with all the weight rearwards- wheelies are easy.

But I made the cafe 5 miles up the MUP with no problem. In fact this OCR rides pretty well. I will be changing the saddle before next week so another point to note. Got to the Cafe- went to stop and those pedals would not release- I twisted- pulled up and I was stuck. Had to do a quick circuit round the car park before I realised that these were not clipless pedals. The owner wondered If I was going to just ride round his car park advertising Prostate Cancer all day- but he did give me a free coffee for my efforts.

So Get on the way home and so as not to embarrass my self in front of the owner again. I did not bother even getting into the straps. Just rode away with the pedals upside down till I got safely on the MUP and could sort myself out. Well that was the idea- but a bit odf shrubbery got in the way. I picked it up on the clip so quick stop to clear it. Stopped the bike and tried my usual dismount of leg over the saddle- Except there is a bl**dy great big 2ft high poster 4" behind the saddle. There is no way it can be called a TomBay fall. No pedals involved and one foot was on the ground and I was stationary. If the cafe owner and his customers don't stop laughing though- he will not be having me back as a customer for a while.

Got back home without any further incidents and did remember about the "Danger" of these pedals. They came off the bike before I even had a cup of coffee- that's how dangerous I regard them.

Sorry about no pics (Or thankfull) but it was only a short ride to check the bike out for this ride next week. It is for Prostate cancer and Before I make a fool of myself any more than I have to on the ride- Pic attached of the bike that will be riding round the the capital next week.
If you want solid foot retention and comfort without having to tighten the straps so much they cut off circulation to your toes, you should use slotted cleats on your standard pedals.

It's not a big deal; you can get accustomed to them quickly enough. You just have to remember to loosen the strap before you want to pull your foot out of the pedal -- just like you have to remember to rotate your heel when you want to remove your foot from a clipless pedal.