View Single Post
Old 09-15-09, 02:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
idiotic statements from bike vendors

Doing a web search for bike products, I stumbled upon wheelbuilder.com. Wow, looks nice, high quality products, I thought. They make claims about how their wheels are the most durable, because of their materials and expertise. That may be, but it really burns me when they perpetuate this folklore:

From http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/sp...formation.html

Double Butted Spokes:
Can be easily identified by a change in spoke diameter near the head of the spoke and near the threaded portion of the spoke. Double butted spokes are lighter than straight gauge and offer better ride qualities due to a more flexible center section. These are generally very strong, however spokes with 1.5mm center sections are not recommended for mountain applications.

Straight Gauge Spokes:
These are the simplest spokes for in any type of general purpose or heavy-duty application. They have a constant diameter throughout their length, which makes them slightly heavier than double butted spokes. Straight gauge spokes offer a stiffer ride than single or double butted spokes because of their thicker cross section.
Grr! It's conceivable that they build wheels with the proper materials but without understanding why double butted spokes exist. They do not ride any differently than straight gauge spokes.

Why do I let this crap get to me?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.