View Single Post
Old 09-16-09, 01:13 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fobdot
Hello commuters, Is commuting on an expensive bicycle to my highschool suggested?
I love my road bike to death but I paid $1500 and cannot afford to replace it.
I use a fahgettaboudit mini lock and a cable to lock rear triangle and tire along with saddle and front tire.

My school has practically 24/7 during school security guard in his gold cart surveying the front gate area where the bike racks are. The racks are not held in place, so i might lock it to the school gate.

Problem: I am paranoid that the Security Guard will steal my bike. If not, the security guard might call his friends to steal it for him.

Besides my paranoia, I believe the students don't have time/nerve to touch my bicycle.

My school has never had a problem with bikes being stolen before and is a very very low crime rate area.

Am I being paranoid? Is my fear realistic?

I am a teenager and hope to postpone car-driving until I hit college.
Also, I'm tired of having my mom take me to school.

What do I do?
Depending on where you live you could be either paranoid or not paranoid enough. If it were my bike I'd keep the "Crown Jewel" at home and find a used '90s MTB or other used bike that floated my fancy for not much money. That way if the "Throw down" was stolen, I wouldn't be out $1,500 and I'd still have a sweet ride for racing and riding on the weekends.