Old 09-16-09, 07:08 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
If you ride on the road and cars pass you at more than 15mph, then most blinkies sold are inadequate.

A driver needs to see, recognize, and maneuver their car to avoid hitting or buzzing a cyclist. If the car is going above 15mph this all has to happen in a split second as the car closes in on the cyclist much faster than one would think.

Stop judging your tail light from two feet and start judging it from a two telephone pole length distance. This is the minimum distance a driver would need to begin reacting. And thats on a clear night, fog and rain makes it worse.

Only a Dinotte tail light will pass the test.
A Planet Bike Superflash is really bright, but it needs to be mounted correctly to point horizontally. It's much less effective clipped to a seat bag or helmet, where it'll point to the ground or the sky. It has a quick double flash that catches your eye, too.

Even though it's main beam is narrow, it does throw off a good amount of side light. And the beam spreads out with distance, so it's visible at an angle, too.

I use AAA rechargeables, and it works great with them. So I run it whenever I might be riding through darker forested roads and especially late in the day when the sun is low in the sky.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-16-09 at 07:12 AM.