View Single Post
Old 09-17-09, 11:04 AM
daintonj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miniscule play at the mount but I've only had them a year so I'm not replacing them and it's about the same amount of play as the rears which have barely been used.

Bike shop checked headset pre-tension and it's correct.

The rim walls don't appear to be bulging out but I'll take a closer look.

Forks appear uncracked.

What has helped is today I went and bought the cheapest brake pads I could find and fitted them with a small amount of toe in (match stick between rim and pad 4 mm from back of pad). Judder is minimal when breaking from the hoods and non-existent when breaking from the drops.

The bike shop opinion was split. The owner pointed out that most people with cf forks and canti brakes like him have no problem (lots of cyclocross in our area). Agreed that the brake booster could help but thought it was probably the pads and sold me some for £3. The other guy suggested going for disc brake solution for around £200 which included labour, but agreed that the pads could solve 90% of it.

I'm still tempted by a front disc brake (cable) as it's an all weather commuter and touring bike and being able to stop faster on steep hills in the rain would be nice.