Old 03-11-05, 10:15 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorSpoc
I think we can safely say that catatonic either has a broken tire guage or scale or is not reading the tire size right... 270lbs total weight on 20s and only using 100psi with no pinch flats on rough rodes??? 'cmon, THAT is a little hard to believe! sorry catatonic but that's just not possible unless you're riding on roads made of glass.

It's not my chart so I'm not going to defend it 'til I'm blue in the face...I happen to think it runs a little low (10-15lbs), but consistantly so. I think at the pressures they talk about you may get better rolling resistance but maybe sacrifice 'road feel' a little.
It depends on how good you are at missing stuff. I can ride on my 23's at 40-50 psi all day easily.
If I am too lazy to fill the tire after a flat. I'm not the only one. It just depends on what you are used to. I did a couple of decades of motorcycle racing off road, before really getting hooked on cycling. I was programmed for the higher speed and rougher surface than any road. It makes not hitting stuff at 20 mph like in slow motion. It's almost too easy. If you did the same things I did you would probably have the same habits. Most people would.
I rode on 19's for years. I have never had a pinch flat. I don't hit stuff. Most people can learn this.
I don't have tire problems when I ride my 17 lb. road bike carefully over the rocks on the railroad bed or
through a little mud. Slowly and carefully. The tires are thin, but have Kevlar belts. There is not a mark on them. Or any part of the wheels, for that matter.
There is always more than one way to find a solution to something. This in no way takes away all the real and practical benefits of larger tires. Both larger tires and learning to scan the road constantly are benefits to cycling. One does not invalidate or minimize the other. One can have both or just one. Having both is a terrific way to go for a newbie.

OK doctorspoc..........you can give me a letter grade,or just pass or fail if you like,on this part.....

Any knowledgeable cyclist would have to agree, wouldn't they? And surely you are a knowledgeable cyclist aren't you? Don't you become more aware of this as you ride more?