Old 09-18-09, 04:48 AM
the_don

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride report: 500km in on Spinergy RevX superstiffs.

So my wheels have been taking me back and forth from work. And all I can say is that they are handling great. I read that some people had said that they warp a bit when taking high speed corners, but i have bombed hills at around 50km/h with turns and not felt any weirdness. I have been riding them pretty hard, commuting, hitting all kinds of rough surfaces and the occasional potholes and so far no problems. I do feel the effects of side winds, but so far nothing extreme, just a little nudge. I guess if I was running really narrow bars (knuckles to the stem) then I would worry a bit more, but my bars are 40cm wide and I have quite good leverage/control with them.

Due to the concerns of riding 7-8 year old carbon wheels, I have been checking for any cracks in the rivets, but I have found none.

The first few rides I took with them, I was a little worried due to the infection of people saying they will explode, but after a good bit of time and distance on them I feel very safe and comfortable on them.

They are very nice wheels, they seem to take away a bit of that nasty road buzz as well. I think the worst thing about them was having to pay ¥13,000 to Kalavinka to make a part to make the surly fixxer actually work properly with the wheel. But it is worthwhile paying because the wheels can be bought quite cheap and so in total it's not that much.

The only concern I do have for them is the blades getting knocked by other people when I park my bike. I parked in the communal parking area in my mansion (Japanese apartment building) and a neighbour managed to take a little ***** out of a blade, I checked the Spinergy FAQ and they said that it can withstand quite large chunks out of the blade, but to just seal the carbon with nail polish. I did that about 300km ago and it has been perfect since.

All in all I am happy. They genuinely feel faster, look good and ride well.

If you have any questions or want to add your own RevX experiences please post!

Last edited by the_don; 09-18-09 at 05:03 AM.