Old 09-18-09, 11:05 AM
Norcalz71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys, I'll have to check those out as well. Reason I had listed CL bargain vintage bikes as a starting place is #1 - I love projects, like building/restoring stuff on my own, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm not too worried about not being able to do the work myself once I do some more reading. My little brother also knows quite a bit about bikes, his two DH bikes are probably halfway apart in the garage with him working on them more than he actually rides them. #2 - Cost, since I love projects, I always have multiple projects going on at once and given I still have a year of grad school left, I'm not quite rolling in the dough yet. I was figuring sub $100 for a "complete" bike off CL to start with and then spending another $100-$250 plus whatever parts I need that are around our garage at home from my brother.

So if i were to MAYBE get an older, used bike to start...what would be a decent one? Doesnt have to be awesome, doesnt have to be super high tech, just a decent place to start. If its truly cheaper to start with a newer frame though just to get up and running then I am totally game for that.