View Single Post
Old 09-18-09, 08:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
I've used the CT-4.2 and it's really nice. No little metal prongs to break off like on my CT-3. Instead, the link is held in place inside a metal cavity. Plus, the drive pin is long enough to allow you to push the pin all the way out of the chain which makes cutting new chains easier.
A couple of comments about the CT-3:

The first version had a cast aluminum body and the chain shelf (the "little metal prongs") were fragile and easy to break. I had one and they did indeed break. The later model has a steel body and seems pretty much bullet proof. Park sent me a free replacement and the steel one has been perfect.

Park installs a C-clip on the screw press to limit it's travel so you can't push the pin all the way out. This is a hold-over from the days of reusable pins where you didn't want to push the pin out of the far side plate if you were going to reconnect the chain. Remove the C-clip and you can push any pin completely out.