View Single Post
Old 09-20-09, 12:44 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Try to answer a few points- This was a flat course- nothing even like a slope to take into consideration and for me that is an unusual ride to have. Locally- even what I term "Flat" rides will get in 400ft climbing over 10 miles or so. There were only two turns where I had to brake aswell so no accelerating from corners. Once I got the bike up to speed- it was turn the pedals to maintain that speed.

Now on my local hilly rides- This bike would have been no good. 52lbs all up weight compared to say the TCR at 17 and I know what I would prefer to ride locally.

And I may not have wheels as light as some of you but I have a set of Ultegra wheels- a set of Hand built and a set of Aksiums. All good wheels but the aksiums are the winter/foul weather set. Tyres and I use Michelin PR 2's in 23 so a light tyre aswell. Compared to stock wheels- they are light but more than that- they roll. On this ride- I put a pair of stock Giant wheels on that I carry as spares. 600grammes heavier and I also used a 26 tyre inflated to 120psi to take the weight. The whole bike was heavy And it felt it on acceleration.

And to give an example of how stock wheels do not work

When I got the OCR, I went cheap and got the OCR3 The bike was good enough as my first road bike and the spec of the bike was not bad. But on a ride I did a downhill and got to 30mph and had to ease off round a long curve. Problem was that on my MTB with knobblies fitted- I get 37mph. Had a chat with the LBS and they loaned me a set of Krysiums. They transformed the bike. It was completely different with speed getting back on the downhills, easier going up the hills, I gained 2mph on my average rides of around 40 miles and the bike took corners and curves better. I could not warrant the Krysiums but got the shop to build me a set of Handbuilt 105 hubs- 36 DB spokes laced x2 to Mavic CXP33 rims. A lot cheaper than the Krysiums and only a few grammes difference in weight. They are good.

Next bike was Boreas and a few changes. Ultegra wheel set that are light and stiff- and a compact double instead of a triple. I use the triple on our hills and often in 30/26. The compact is 50/34 and 12/27. Hills are no harder than with the triple- but they are faster (Till I get to the 16% and that is taken in a very slow cadence by the end) Think this is that mentally- it is a steep hill so to make it easier I go down on gears till I have none left. But as the Compact is higher- I can't find a lower gear so have to go with what I have got. Hence the increase in speed.

Spike Milligan