Old 09-21-09, 06:04 AM
sugarcubed

Bikes: 80's bridgesgtone 450, '09 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3cats4me
I'm sorry to hear of your pending surgery. I had similar surgery last June. While the intense pain subsided I still have pain. I have rods and screws as I had some slippage of my vertebra forward and bulging disks. I'm considering biking for exercise. I haven't biked in years but I'm afraid that walking as my only exercise might not always be good for my back pain. I'm very out of shape and have gained weight as a result of my inactivity. I think I need to sit upright on a bike and need to fell stable. What kind of bike can do that for me I don't know but I'm hoping to get some useful input from this forum. Best wishes to you on your surgery.
I am so sorry to hear that you still have pain. If you dont mind me asking, what was your diagnosis and what section of your spine did you have surgery? I would ask your physical therapist and doctor before you start with any exercise regimen but I think they would agree that cycling would be a great low impact, enjoyable therapy for you. There are so many bicycles on the market that you could use. I would suggest go to your local bike store and just take a look around. Tell them what your needs are and see what they recommend. Try out many bikes before you make your decision. Also do you live in a warm climate area or a 4 season area. Since its coming on the fall/winter you just might want to join a gym and use the stationary cycles. Those have nice upright positions and would be a good way to build up a bit of strength before hitting the road -- hope this helps.

My surgery is now two weeks and counting -- wish me luck