Old 09-21-09, 10:58 AM
Rogue Leader

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For reference which model did you get and how long ago?? Do they still offer it? I purchased mine just under 2 years ago.

Originally Posted by CCrew
BB was junk. Cranks were low end no-name. Handlebars weren't even a standard size, and were actually sleeved with a split plastic sleeve which was then taped over to give the appearance they were the right size.
The one I have came with a Truvativ BB and Crankset, while its no Campy Ultra Torque like I have now, it did the job, and its spec'd on many lower end LBS models. That said there was some flex in it when climbing hard, which is one of the reasons I rebuilt the bike. It did the job fine for normal riding... Not so much for racing, but Its what I expected for a $500 bike.

The handlebar thing I will give you, I thought that was wacky when I disassembled it. I chalked it up to being a cheap bike and moved on.

Paint is absolutely terrible on it.... a fingernail will scrape it. Wheels are junk, with a no-name cassette on it. Cheapest chain money can buy. Not to mention that it weighs an absolute ton. 28lbs for a 48cm frame. It's not their low end either, it was like a $650 bike. Never, ever again. It sits in the garage and the kids ride it. In it's behalf, they haven't destroyed it yet and they're more than welcome to try.
The paint on mine is great, however the paint on my friends Motobecane does not seem to be as nice quality wise. I guess it depends on the model. The paint job on mine (and other Mercier models) is more intricate maybe that explains the quality.

I agree the wheels are junk (another reason I rebuilt it) however they are the same Alexrims offered on most low end models of LBS brands (my friends Allez was twice the price and had the same rims, and they sucked for him too). My cassette was KMC as was the chain, no shimano, but plenty of people here use them.

Mine weighed 24 lbs (54cm) which is no lightweight, but again its a $500 bike. Check out the weights for most entry level bikes you will find similar weights. All this info is available on their website, so if the OP or anyone else doesn't like the component spec they only have themself to blame as its right there in black and white before you buy it.

In the end, my entry level bike survived a whole season of Triathlon races, hard riding, etc. It worked fine when I stripped and rebuilt it, and I covered a good chunk of my cost selling the parts off it. I just wanted more performance, probably should have bought a better one when I got it, but I had no idea what I was doing, nor that I would even stick with this stuff for a long time.

Overall its what you can expect for $500, and I cant see if youre in the market for it spending double the price when aside from the cheapo handlebars and stem you're likely to get the same thing.