View Single Post
Old 09-21-09, 06:52 PM
bbphill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Trek FX 7.3 with Bullhorns?!

Hi all. New to the forums. Straight to my question.

Is it possible / advisable to put bullhorn bars on an FX 7.3? Further could you use the exisiting shifters and brake levers?

Here's the backstory. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a little kid but seeing as how my father-in-law is an avid road biker and is found at the LBS pretty often, I stopped by finally to have a look see. I was planning on getting an idea of what size of Wally-World-Special I should get but after a test ride on a commuter/hybrid or two, I was a convert. After a few more trips and a decent amount of research (a lot on this site!) I put the scratch down for my LBS to order a 7.3 in my size. I loved the FX series most of all for it's aggressive styling. I am not sold on the stem/bars and after reading about the barends and ergons I realize that I wasn't the first to want to tinker with an otherwise good thing. I wanted to have more hand options eventually but didn't feel the ergons were quite my style. I rode around on my father-in-laws old Trek roadbike and decided that my first(fun) bike was not going to have drops. Just not a fan yet, I guess. I was thinking how rare bullhorn bars are in my area and how I liked their somewhat 'mean' look. I was thinking I might make the swap after I get some miles on my FX. I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice. You guys have a cool thing going on here!

Last edited by bbphill; 09-21-09 at 07:05 PM.