View Single Post
Old 09-22-09, 12:13 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good News about your blockage, sorry about the weight, but all the more reason to hang out here AND work with your doctor to get moving again.
oh and hey, have you heard about freecycle? It's a site set-up like craiglist in that it centers around individual communities, except everything on it is free. It is not bicycle specific, but is a mashing together of the words 'free' and 'recycle' the url is www.freecycle.org If you join your local group, you can post wanteds for stuff including perhaps an excercise bike to get you moving when you are doing your recovery.

A while back $$$ were an issue with me, but I know--and have taught myself--how to fix the basic problems you encounter with an old bicycle, so I was able to get back into bike riding on the cheap. One of my first bikes was a Huffy Mtn bike that I fixed up, it's a misirable pile of garbage, but it was better than no bike. I then was able to get a '78 Motobecane Nomad and that was a much better riding experience. It has it's problems, but they're easy to over-look given that it was free for the fixing. Since then Ive had a couple of other bikes and now am on a recumbent, my bike fixing habit has allowed me to get better gear and to give several bikes away to friends. I guess what I'm trying to say is where there is a will, there is a way. Keep us posted and stick around because you are among friends.

*edit* sheesh... I edited this post about six times... I should really try to form solid thoughts before I go posting...

Last edited by BigPolishJimmy; 09-22-09 at 12:17 PM.