Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like what queerpunk said.

I have a slightly different perspective on it, but just different and not more or less right.

One can design a front end geometry that will produce a relatively neutral 60 mm of trail (neither "twitchy" nor "dead") by combining a steep head tube angle with a short rake, or by combining a less steep head tube angle with a longer rake.

One can see this for oneself by downloading the Trail Calculator from Anvil Bikes:

http://www.anvilbikes.com/images/1064634020.xls

Using the above calculator, one might discover that a steep head tube angle of 75 degrees and a short rake of 28.5 mm will create the same amount of trail as a shallow head tube angle of 72 degrees and a long rake of 46.1 mm; or, a relatively neutral trail of 60 mm.

However, in general terms (and disregarding wheelbase, rider position and rider weight), the steep head tube angle and short rake combination will handle better at lower speeds and the shallow head tube angle and long rake combination will handle better at higher speeds.

So, since I value low speed (15 mph) agility over high speed stability, I ride a bike with a steep head tube, short rake, short wheelbase and a significantly setback (35 mm) seat post.