Old 09-22-09, 07:23 PM
MorganRaider

Bikes: '10 TREK 7.7 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy
Morgan, 17º meaning it sets the bars higher, correct? Allows you to be slightly more upright??

Confused a tad... same paint, was it a Trek replacement part? I get the cinch bolts for the handlebars, but not sure what the ones facing the rider may be for (forgive, I'm a noob at the equipment and can only learn by asking lots of questions!). Did you rotate the shifters "down" more than usual... it looks like it's hard to see the indicators... surprised it seems one is so huge, the other so small, a lot of the thumb shifters I see are equal in size and seem to have one "above" the bar with the other below.

Where do you guys feel the retail 660 differential lies? Are the rim materials so different that it equates to a big jump in cost? Is there that big a cost jump in the drivechain?

I read about "road bike with flat handlebars" and the more I learn about specifics of components, the more I see this, certainly in the 7.6/7.7 models... am I off base that much?
Correct, you sit a little more upright. I was coming from a 12 deg 100 mm on the 7.6 FX and did not want to be at 7. The extra length negates some of the height increase, but only slightly. The replacement is same paint as original TREK stem. In fact it matched the rest of the bike better.
My LBS ordered it for me from TREK, I think this is where they ordered it. It's actually in the MTN bike section.

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=1

As far as road bike with flat bar...some shades of gray there for comparison. I think the FX frames are more "relaxed", not sure what that means. Other than that, yes I would agree they are flat bar road bikes, which suits me perfectly.

I did not shift the shifters down. Both are equal size and I can read the indicators fine. You might be seeing some distortion in the camera angle.

Can't answer your question on the price delta for the 660's. I will say this. I know a few employees at the LBS were kind of blown away (in a good way) when they saw those shifters on a "hybrid".

Last edited by MorganRaider; 09-22-09 at 07:28 PM.