View Single Post
Old 09-23-09, 08:58 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmmmm, I don't think that the OP mentioned price. If you have a sizeable budget, then the first step I would take is to get a second bike and fix the Dahon. While my bikes are quite reliable, it is the case that having a second bike is great when maintenance is needed but you still need to get somewhere. Personally, I would get two different types of folders -- one uber compact and a second good for performance -- but your needs may not match mine.

How old and approximately how many miles do you have on the Dahon?

Originally Posted by dschwarz
My suggestion is to fix up your D7 before moving on to a new ride. It's a chromoly frame and quite durable.

The stock brakes are not great quality IMHO; I'm replacing mine with Avid Single Digit 5s (under $40 for both front and rear brakes, shipping included, if you shop around online). There are much better quality tires out there than stock - Schwalbe Marathons, maybe - I have no experience with them but others on this forum should be able to recommend extra durable tires. Most folders won't come with those kind of tires stock. Not sure what happened to your seatpost collar but they are easy enough to replace. Are you over the max weight limit for the bike?
I don't know what "snatching" a rear brake means. But I'll assume its broken.

Brakes typically take quite a beating and keep on ticking. I would be shocked if it happened a second time.

Did the quick release on the seatpost collar brake?

As for flats, tire choice will effectively address the issue.

Originally Posted by dschwarz
p.s. Don't buy a bike that lacks a dealer network in your country. Spare parts and warranty service will be a problem.
It also sounds like the OP doesn't do his/her own maintenance. So a decent LBS that understands the bike would be a huge advantage.