View Single Post
Old 09-23-09, 01:55 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There are two components to the cost of stuff: the initial price and the life of the item.
Not really. I just see the price tag when I looks at the cost of stuff. I understand what you are getting at, but don't really agree. That's like saying "buy a fixed gear, sure it costs a lot...but when you factor in how cool it looks with your pants...the price really seems a lot less!" Plus, a lot of people (not me) argue that modern frames all last basically forever if cared for properly.

Anyway, most bicycle companies exclude the weight of the rider to make the difference seem more different. Why is that OK?
Nope, not this one either. Not when buying an ultralight backpack, a tent, a car, a motorcycle, or anything else have I ever seen the weight of someone added on to "fudge" statistics.

They don't include the weight of the rider, because you are buying the ITEM ALONE. Simple. Plus, you can't possibly account for everyone's weight....which would change the stupid "percentage difference" magical figure.

"No Mr. baggage handler, even though my package exceeds weight restrictions for this flight..you forgot to factor the combined weight of myself and the package....since I am already pretty heavy
the percentage difference is rather minimal. Don't you think?"

I agree with your last paragraph almost entirely. Really, this is mostly just me talking for the sake of boredom avoision. I am not that serious about it.