View Single Post
Old 09-23-09, 03:35 PM
common man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nymtber
The msrp for the fuji's are about twice what people are trying to make you believe here. The prices I see are not that much better than The sirrus or FX line.
You know how a Trek 7.2 FX has an MSRP for $519 but the LBS can sell it to you for $460? Same thing with Fuji but Fuji allows for much lower price cuts and closeout deals than Trek or Specialized will allow. So you are right that the MSRP for Fuji Absolute 2.0 is ~$800 but the LBS will be able to sell it for $500 or less. I know this firsthand because my LBS offered to order me a Fuji Absolute 2.0 for $460 - and he called that a "not the best deal". Right now as we speak, Performance Bicycle (not the place where I got my Absolute) is offering the Cyclocross Comp 2009 for $900 (last week one could get it for $750) when the MSRP is $1500 and the bike has Shimano 105 shifters, FD, and Ultegra RD! Trek's equivalent for $800 actual price is the 1.5 which has Tiagara shifters & derailleurs. Fuji always offers much better components then its competitors (and that's how they have an edge when the brand names of Trek & Specialized are touted most).

The Deore shifters & derailleurs of the Absolute are vastly superior to the Sora components of the Sirrus. Shifts so much faster & smoothly. If you are a rider with a constant, decent cadence on flats you may not notice as much of a difference as I do when I pedal slowly going up big hills.

All of these bikes are made in the same 3-4 Taiwan factories. They all have Shimano components. These are all pretty much clones. Having said all, try out the bikes and see which geometry / sizing works for you best. Some people fit better with certain brands. For example, I have heard that Fuji road bikes have a geometry that favors the long legged and short torso people. Stuff like that. That example does not apply to the Fuji hybrid bikes in question but it was to illustrate the variety amongst different manufacturers. I also believe that the Trek & Sirrus look nicer with their bright colors and this counts for something.

The Absolute 2.0, Trek 7.2 FX, and Specialized Sirrus can all be had for <$500. I'm someone who goes for value so I have the Fuji. Frankly, I also think Fuji is a prestigious brand. They've been around since 1899 and have a long history as trendsetters from Japan. Trek is enjoying its 8+ TDF wins in the past decade.