View Single Post
Old 09-23-09, 03:58 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting range of responses. I would think the answer would be different for each individual, both in terms of what they want out of their tour and what they are giving up in return.

For me, I don't think I want to be on the road for a year or two - I get sick of it after a few months, and desire stability, friends, home, my S.O. I've done a few semi-extended trips, both on the bike and in a van, and I really just want my own home after a while. Little things like wearing the same clothes all the time, not knowing your way around, being with strangers... all start to get to me. Even on trips with my S.O., where we have each other, being on the road gets old.

Then after I'm home a while, I miss being on the road.

So, the first thought that pops into my head is go to France, Italy & Switzerland, maybe Spain, stay wherever I felt like, from camping to nice hotels, eat in lots of awesome restaurants, do some rides where I stay in one place for a while and ride all the awesome roads from there. Maybe spend 4-6 months. Then go home. I would spend the money with an eye towards maximizing enjoyment of the moment, rather than stretching out the time as long as I could.

That's just me, of course.