View Single Post
Old 09-29-09, 11:33 AM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That was a really interesting post! I bet you learned a lot. When I started out touring, I too wanted to spend the least. I think I certainly had less comfort and poorer equipment. I've only got 2 things left from my very first tour: tent and sleeping bag (not 3 as I posted originally as I now remember I got my coffee mug when I bought a stove!)

The one thing I think I did get right first time was a Eureka 2 person Timberlite tent -it's been great, waterproof and it's well ventilated but packs very small and is light. The sleeping bag is a lightweight one I bought from Performance Bike many, many years ago, but to be honest for the touring I do, I don't think it's been that tested. Top 5 Biggest things I've changed/added and appreciated (in no particular order):

1. the bike -having a purpose built tourer with the components I want. I built it up myself including the disc wheels. I'm very very happy with it. I've also toured on an old Raleigh Technium mtb which had great geometry but the bb area came unglued (read that right; it had a rear steel triangle mated to alu top and downtubes held in place by some epoxy glue of some kind) and an old Specialized Hard Rock mtb which I currently use for commuting and have used for touring as well. I love the Hard Rock too, but the Dawes Sardar just feels a little nicer.....

2. the addition of an air mat on top of my closed cell foam pad. The foam pad was just too uncomfortable by itself! Even better is that it was $20 on sale from Campmor!

3. adding a front rack that holds my tent -small price to pay for getting better weight distribution and just makes packing easier.

4. my Kelly Take Off shifter mounts and DT shifters (and with apologies for beating a dead horse, I really don't mean to, but they truly have made a difference for me. I certainly don't want to start a shifter war here).

5. Tyres -1.5 Schwalbe Marathons. Incredibly they feel like they have less rolling resistance than my Panaracer 1.25 Urban Maxxs. Not even had a.... no, I'm not going to say it, otherwise I'll get one.

Originally Posted by simplygib
I started a tour last year with my primary goal being "spend the least amount of money as possible." It was a real learning experience. The $20 Walmart kiddie tent leaked. The twin sized air mattress was heavy, and eventually leaked too. The blue tarp "rain fly" was too heavy and bulky. The cotton T-shirts wouldn't dry out over night, got dirty easily and stretched out at the neck. The cheap Walmart platform pedals clicked the whole way and one barely held together. The cheap tires had bead problems and one bulged out so bad I thought it would burst. The insulated lunch container "panniers" were a pain to work with due to all the bungees needed to hold them in place.