Old 07-29-02, 07:12 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by mechBgon
These are probably the auxiliary brake levers found on many older road-style bikes, which sweep in so that the brakes can be actuated from the tops of the drop bars.

I hope I don't sound like a snob, but you could generally take these as an indication of a bicycle that's below "enthusiast quality." The extensions can be removed, although this will often leave a "stud" sticking out the side of the brake lever and would require a bit of brake adjustment in most cases, to take out the additional cable slack left over.

As for safety, they have less brake power than the "real" brake lever (long story made short), and your hands will be close together if you're using them, which is not good for control.
Around here, they were popular in the late 1970s and very early 1980s. I had a bike that came with them and I removed them. During the same period, my father added some on his bike. Comparing both bikes and a few others I have tried, these auxiliary levers may work ok if they have the proper shape, if the brake handle is appropriately placed (mine wasn't) and if they are rigid enough.
If all these conditions are met and if they are adequately adjusted ( a tricky proposal at best), they work as well as the main levers. Otherwise, they bottom out too quickly and only offer a slow-down.

Why have they disappeared? Two main reasons:

1. Cantilever brakes eventually replaced the traditional centrepull brakes. Cantilevers require less strength and therefore are easily operated even when the rider rides on the hoods.

2. On most bikes, the safety lever was only good for slowing down. So experienced cyclists dismissed the levers and often removed them. Casual cyclists -- those who usually ride slowly and therefore are OK with safety levers -- went for hybrids and "comfort bikes" when they became available.

BTW, no need to get new levers. As others suggested, if you can't adjust them for hard braking, remove the safety levers (bolt on the side of the main lever), or cut them with a metal saw.

Regards,