Old 10-01-09, 07:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I am a 54 year old male. Way back in the dark ages I took some yoga classes but I gave it up - and it shows. I would like to start up again but need a training aid. I'm trying to keep the old bones somewhat limber. There are no classes where I live.
Thanks.
I'm self-taught using Richard Hittleman's Yoga 28 Day Excercise Plan; look it up on Amazon, including for reviews. Over 28 days he illustrates various postures and then outlines a cyclic three-day plan for repeating the excercises. I've been doing it for years. He recommends, and I agree, that they should be done nearly every day, or you lose the postures. Each session requires about 20 minutes. The positions are of variable difficulty, but I can do almost all, including a full headstand. I continue to notice progress.

IMO, yoga is a good adjunct to bicycling, but I do my best yoga when I'm riding a lot. There have been other threads about yoga and bicycling on some Forums, including the 50+ Forum. One benefit cited by those who take classes is working with young ladies in leotards (this opinion does not necessarily reflect the views of Jim from Boston or Bike Forums--I'm just sayin').