Riverside_Guy

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
Agree with most of above, but I'd add:

- Do NOT pay more than $60 for a 200 lumen light. I would actually not pay more than $35. For $28, you can get a bulletproof metal 2 x AA flashlight from BatteryJunction.com that will put out 200 lumens. You don't even need to worry about runtime, as you can get more batts or even more lights for 2-3 hr rides. It takes seconds to swap the batteries.

- Lockblocks are perhaps the best and also cheapest flashlight mounts out there. You can leave them on your bike and never have to worry about it getting ripped off.

- I've found that the best flashlight helmet mount has been a homemade one that you can make from a spare inner tube in less than a minute. Just cut a few inches worth of tube off, make holes through the walls at the ends so you can fit the end of the flashlight through them. It's analogous to using a rubber band to hook the flashlight to your helmet by looping it through the helmet. Rock-solid stable, and works incredibly well, as inner tube rubber is extremely durable. On some longer night rides, I've even mounted 2 separate 200lumen flashlights to my helmet, and ran off one of them at a time so I could just switch to the other if the batts ran down after an hour. Also was handy for going "hi-beam" when no car traffic was around.
Assume you mean the Terralux LightStar EXTREME 3W LED Aircraft Grade Aluminum Flashlight 2XAA up to 220 Lumens... fyi, they spoec it for one hour at high power. Assuming you have one, how is it to use with rechargeable 2000-2500mAh NiMHs?

Love to see a side by side with a Magicshine, from what I read, it may actual be putting out less than 900...

Was thinking about hitting a fabric store and getting some stretch material, like 1.5" wide. Sew on some velcro.