Old 10-02-09, 10:29 PM
Weasel9
Dumpster cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cartridge bearing hubs on old Rockhopper?

I picked up what I judge to be an early 80s Specialized Rockhopper to turn into a 26" wheel touring bike last week. Today I was overhauling it (just to get it rolling) and while pulling the hub apart, discovered that it has cartridge bearings. Since my (albeit misguided) concept of cartridge bearings is associated with Chris King and Phil, I was surprised.

I've been wanting to explore the world of cartridge bearings quite a bit due to my recent obsession with bearings in general. So I pull a mystery hub apart, and presto! That was convenient.

I don't know who makes the hub, there are no markings on the actual hub body, but the dustcaps on the axle say "Specialized" on them. A lot of parts on this bike say "Specialized" on them, like the BB and headset.

So my questions are:
Who made this hub? I'm assuming it's Specialized.
Who made the other parts marked Specialized? Was it them, or another company subcontracted or owned by them? Like Bontrager...
Does anyone happen to know what type or model cartridge bearings these take? Would it be marked on there if I pull them out? I imagine(hope) it's something off-the-shelf.

I can further describe it if needed. Or post pictures. Thanks in advance!