View Single Post
Old 10-03-09, 04:12 PM
Pat from CA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cost Info for Icefield Parkway in hotels

My wife and I just toured the Icefield Parkway in Alberta, Canada...she rode and I drove as the result of herniating a disc about 6 weeks before our trip start. Just thought it might be handy to list prices of hotels for those planning a trip. This trip can be done Jasper to Icefield Chalet, then Icefield Chalet to Num Ti Jah, then Num Ti Jah to Banff. Those distances are within the range of experienced cyclists...remember you are at some altitude though. My Wife added stops at Sunwapta Falls Resort between Jasper and Icefield Chalet and a stop at Lake Louise between Num Ti Jah and Banff. Here's what the lodging costs were in Canadian dollars:

Jasper Bed and Breakfast.... about $90 (StayinJasper.com)
Sunwapta Falls Resort....nice room with 2 double beds $159.00
Icefield Chalet.... double bed plus loft with 2 singles...$288.00 nice room with view...I think all the rooms are similar
Num Ti Jah.... old lodge, room a bit funky but clean; includes dinner for two and breakfast (there is no where else to eat)....$580
Deer Lodge, Lake Louise... mediocre room but I think they have some nice ones....$about 250 (our bill was 377 but included dinner charged to the room
Banff---lots of places to stay...we had a friends house in Canmore so $0 for us. Lodging in Canmore is much less than Banff.

Would I repeat? Absolutely, but I would do the 3 day version listed in the top paragraph. The scenery is absolutely fantastic and the road is great...wide shoulders and reasonable grades all the way. The biggest hill heading south is the hill up to Num Ti Jah that is probably 7% in a few places but the major part of the hill is only about 5 kilometers.

There are plenty of campgrounds for those who want to camp...I think this would be a great ride for a group of many 10 riders who rented a Van and either hired or brought along a driver to sag the trip, carry all camping gear etc. You'd be able to have ice chests, decent tents, hot showers through a solar shower set up with either solar heated water or water off the stove since you wouldn't be limited in fuel.

Anyway....Thank you Canada!