View Single Post
Old 10-05-09, 08:46 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by sceva
Thanks for the advice. I will try looking for a used wheel/freewheel first. Do I need to find a freewheel that is similar to what I have, or will any 27" wheel and 5 speed freewheel work? Or is it possible to for example, find a good wheel with say a good 6 speed freewheel and derailer and swap all of it out? I don't know what will work when swapping parts on the rear wheel/gears.
Any 27" wheel with a 5 or 6 speed freewheel will work. Your bike is pre-indexed shifting. So as long as it is still that way, pretty much any brand should work with your current rear derailleur (assuming it works). Often I find used rear wheels with a decent freewheel attached for less than the cost of a freewheel. Service the bearings (replace them, and new grease), clean the freewheel (do a search on the mechanics forum, thats a topic that has been covered many times before) and you are ready to go. This service work should take you an hour or less.