View Single Post
Old 10-07-09, 12:16 AM
karjak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! there are/were 3 bent/upright threads going on. This one, one in the General Discussion and another in the Long Distance. All appear about dead or maybe should be. I kind of think the jealousy factor may be more about some bent riders jealous of DF riders.

I ride a recumbent but do also miss the agressive riding position on an upright. Even if someone calls my bike "cool", when I see my shadow on the road it looks weird to me. Might be some of us bent riders have an ugly duck syndrome and wish we looked like the beautiful swans (DF's).

Age and past back surgery have made riding a DF for a long length of time not real comfortable. I think it might be for some that bents offer an opportunity to ride a lot more comfortable and therefore we get a lot of miles and become pretty fit. I can keep up with riders 30 years younger but not many cat 3's I'm sure. My best TT on HiRacer for a 20k averaged at 24 mpg. My strong suit with a recumbent is long distance as I did my first Ultra on LowRacer at age 62 this summer of 830 miles. http://www.gutcheck212.com/records/

The thing is to keep riding as long as you are breathing. Whatever gives you that thrill or enjoyment. It is fun to ride with DF riders I know on my HiRacer as we all get along. They can get a partial draft off of me when I ride in front of the paceline. It is either upfront on in the back for safety. Tried my LowRacer on a group ride once and one guy said it was like trying to draft off of someone on a BigWheels. Bents don't belong in the world of Road races(where drafting allowed) or Criteriums but shouldn't be excluded from Time Trial events in my opinion. There is jealousy on my part that I don't have a lot of opportunity to competively race.

It would be interesting to see recumbents gain more popularity and see what some of the more athletic riders could do on some of the Performance bents.

Last edited by karjak; 10-07-09 at 12:27 AM.