View Single Post
Old 10-07-09, 01:34 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
The weight issue is negligible, too. If you want to get wild about it, you can get a dynohub built with a carbon rim.

But, that's not relevant -- what's relevant is the weight of the lighting system. The weight of the dynohub (minus the weight of a regular front hub) and the weight of a typical battery pack seen on most worthwhile lights are basically the same, so, I'd say that the weight question is moot.

http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/dynamowheels.html

Yeah, that Toplight XS is what I had in mind to get (after browsing Peter White's and Harris Cyclery's pages), but the guy at the shop while I was in Germany last Christmas pulled a Selectra off the shelf and handed it straight to me. Three LEDs and a bigger reflector trumps one LED.
Welll...it may be negligible in terms of real speed, but I recently from from the 28 spoke wheel on my stock, entry level Sequoia to a $150 dynamo front wheel. Granted, you can spend more money and definitely get a lighter wheel, not to mention a lighter dynamo hub. But my bike is definitely not as sprightly and light as it used to be.